Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Well .. Didn't Take Long .. No Suprises.


Alright, as some exposition for those who don't know I am currently in the middle of the teenage girls' Twilight book series. This is something that I am very careful about when reading in public as the following rules are always followed:
1)When I take the book out my backpack I always make sure it is frontcover faced down.
2)If I, for any reason, must put the book down on a table it is set down (again) frontcover faced down and always has the spine butted up against a stable "blocker" object.
3)If the book I am on is a hardcover, I remove the cover as to cloak the books identity with its crushed black fabric cover with no writing anywhere but the book title on its spine.

The following information is also useful in this quick story:
-I am fiercely close to finishing "New Moon" right now, the second book in the series.
-I am flying from the Burbank airport to Seattle (where one would fly if they were traveling to Forks, the town in which the book takes place).
-I hold a silver elite status card for Northwest Airlines which helps me attain free upgrades to first class seating on domestic flights.

So, running it down; I sit in first class along with the other first classers and begin reading my book (as secretly as possible) before the plane even leaves the ground as I stopped at a very intense part last night when my laundry was done drying at the laundrymat and had to go back to real life. There is a woman with a British accent sitting next to me which puts me in a defensive mood since Harry Potter is British and that book is the leading enemy of the Twilight series. The woman is very friendly, we both drink black coffee as the plane is taking off and I am very into my book until the woman interrupts me. "Are you reading Twilight?", the kind woman asks in her educated accent.
"Um no, I am not. This is New Moon, it's the book after Twilight. Where are you travelling to? London?"
"No, I work and live in Los Angeles and am up in Seattle for the day for work. I will be back in LA this evening.", she rebuts in our quickly competitive conversation then quickly mocks me, "Where are you traveling to? London?"
Oh no you didn't, I think to myself. But quickly find my out and feel that this game is in the bag.
"No, I am actually travelling to a small town in Washington to help with some research for the filming of the movie based on this book I hold in my hands here. You see, I am obviously too old to be reading this book recreationally and unlike you my business in this small town will hold me there far longer than just today. This is a pretty big deal and I need to finish this book before I land. I am on a deadline, do you mind?", I obviously just lied about the reason I am reading the book and my real destination. The woman goes back to her powerpoint presentation that she is working on on her laptop PC and leaves me alone to my dreamworld -!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!- where Bella is (ironically) aboard an airplane to Italy to save her vampire ex-boyfriend who is about to commit social and ultimately literal suicide. This is the first time that a stranger has caught me off guard reading this teen novel and that clearly threw me into a tailspin of lies. I now await re-boarding my plane and finishing the 2nd book to move onto the 3rd as I head to Amsterdam. I really hope that Edward, Bella, and Alice get out of Volterra alive.

2 comments:

championvinyl said...

Glad to see you're already spinning a web of lies.

This can only lead to great things as you keep deeper and deeper into the nether regions of Europe.

Keep me posted. Me and no one else.

Casey said...

so that's kind of hilarious...