Monday, June 16, 2008

An Evening With Martin Dosh


It was Friday afternoon, I was hanging out with Jordan and said, "Hope you don't mind, but there is a Sunday Surprise planned for the end of the weekend, FYI." Jordan was baffled and set back a little bit. "What in the world man?" he said and that was really it. Friday night was a little bit of drinking and then to the house we went to mellow out and rest. In pre-sleep hang out I 'acted' as if I was drunk and totally let out the surprise. So, with a slight slur (as to not over-act it) I say, "Have you ever seen those pottery painting places, where you paint your own pottery and then they glaze it for you?"
"Yes, I know what your talking about." Jordan answered back. I then said, "Well thats a little hint for you as to what the surprise is."
Two days go by until Sunday afternoon when Jordan asked if I remembered telling him what the surprise was. I said no and he felt comfortable in knowing that he knew what it was and I had no idea about it. So, we get home and the sun goes down. The Lost Boys (my roommates) are also in the know on the surprise that we would be going to see Dosh live that evening. We called it "the comedy club". So off to the "night of comedy we go" and on the road we drove. The whole way, we were lost and had a hard time finding the club Spaceland where Dosh would be playing that evening. The whole time Jordan is questioning why we were lost as we go to the same comedy theater every Sunday night of every week of every month. We say that tonight it was taking place elsewhere and sorry that we are having a hard time getting there. It was totally believed and casual until we pull up to a small venue with a marquee on the wall. "SUNDAY NIGHT:DOSH".
"What? Dosh is playing, Sunday. Tonight is Sunday. Dosh is playing tonight. We should... What? Are we about to see Dosh?!" The Lost Boys all break out in complete laughter as Jordan is bamboozled and confused and irate at the fact that we were indeed about to see Jordan and my favorite musician of all time. For the first time.
Once in the club, which was modeled behind a UFO, we stood through two INCREDIBLE shows before Dosh came on at about 11:45p. The show was the best thing I have ever seen, and I am sure that I shed at least one tear during the performance.
What a night for surprises, what a night for music, and what a night for friends. Overall, I would basically recommend for anyone to go catch Dosh live, or at least pick up a few of his albums. The music will meld the mind with a sense of astonishingly great creativity amongst other things.

Thank you Dosh for a show that will never be forgotten. Thank you for encoring with the only song I told you that I would love to hear. And thank you Jordan, Kyle, and Nick for being there to experience the night together. Friendship expedition, out.

1 comment:

joe said...

hey zach, its joe. i caught dosh w/ anathallo when they came through chicago. dosh is definitely a performance to behold, so much crazy awesomeness at once.